Affordable Instant Pot Recipes
Have you heard the latest buzz in the cooking world? Instant Pots have been hitting kitchen counters all over the country for a few months now and causing quite the stir — and for good reason! This kitchen gadget has the efficiency of a pressure cooker, the hands-off ease of a crock pot and the flavor-packed taste of the stove top, all wrapped up into one quality appliance. Better yet, Instant Pots are a great way to make affordable meals for your family and skip the added expense of dining out. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
- 2 ½ – 3 lb. whole chicken
- ½ onion, quartered
- 5 large garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Drizzle the chicken lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the chicken with the onion and garlic. Tie the legs together with butcher twine.
- Turn the Instant Pot to low sauté and drizzle the bottom with olive oil. Sear the chicken on both sides for approximately 4 minutes each.
- Remove the chicken and put the rack into the Instant Pot. Add the chicken stock.
- Rub all the spices into the chicken and put the chicken back into the Instant Pot, breast side up.
- Secure the lift and pressure cook on manual for 25 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes before serving.
- 2, 5-ounce salmon filets
- 1 cup water
- Sea salt
- Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper.
- Add water and steam rack to Instant Pot.
- Cover with lid and cook on steam mode for 5 minutes.
- Quick release steam when done. Drizzle with your favorite sauce and serve!
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine potatoes, 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon of salt in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Drain and transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl with the egg, butter, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon. Mash or blend with a band mixer until the potatoes are well whipped.
- Set the Instant Pot to low sauté and brown the ground beef. Add in all vegetables with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Mix flour and beef broth together, then pour over contents of the Instant Pot. Stir together all ingredients to combine.
- Top with the mashed potatoes and cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release the pressure and top with sprinkled cheddar before serving.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (mild or medium)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1, 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- Kosher salt
- Combine macaroni, a sprinkle of salt and 4 cups of water into the Instant Pot. Set to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Follow the Instant Pot directions for a quick release cycle. When complete, remove lid and switch to low sauté.
- Stir in butter, milk and ¼ cup water. Once mixed thoroughly, add cheese a little at a time until melted.
Serves 3 – 4
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 cup water
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half long ways. Use a spoon to discard seeds.
- Place the halves into your Instant Pot on the rack and pour water over them.
- Sprinkle the open sides with salt and set on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Use the quick release knob and let the squash cool for a few minutes before handling.
- Use a fork to scrape out the strands. Serve with butter or your favorite pasta sauce!
Sweet Orange Brussel Sprouts
- 2 lbs. brussel sprouts, trimmed
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Add all ingredients to a pressure cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Use the manual button and cook for 4 minutes (or 3 if they are smaller or cut in half).
- Use the quick release pressure. Stir and serve!
Cheesy Egg Bake
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 cups frozen shredded potatoes
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: Chopped vegetables (onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc.)
- Turn the Instant Pot to low sauté and brown the bacon. If you would like any vegetables, you should sauté them at this point as well.
- Add in the shredded potatoes to defrost a bit, about 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, milk, cheese and a sprinkle of both salt and pepper.
- Add eggs to Instant Pot with bacon and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Set to high pressure for 10 minutes with a quick release at the end.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- Pour the oats into the steel pot with the water.
- Press manual and set timer to 3 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure (around 5 minutes).
- Naturally release the pressure.
- Add toppings as you like!
Berry Breakfast Cake
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup canned berry compote
- Grease a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl until well combined. Then add butter, ricotta cheese, yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix this dry mixture with the egg mixture until well blended. Pour into bundt can.
- Drop berry compote in by the spoonful on top. Swirl it into the batter with a knife.
- Place the rack inside the Instant Pot and put 1 cup of water in. Place trivet carefully on top.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When complete, naturally release the pressure and allow to cool.
While Instant Pots tend to run on the pricier side for a kitchen appliance — anywhere from $79 to $150 depending on the capacity — keep an eye out this fall and winter for special holiday pricing. Instant Pots are available at retailers like Kohl’s and Bed, Bath and Beyond, stores that are known for frequently having 20% – 30% off coupons!